SB288 has been voted out of committee and is headed to the Senate floor! This legislation, introduced by Senator Feldman creates a pilot program for overdose prevention centers in Maryland. Communities United has been working together like the Drug Policy Alliance, the Bridges Coalition, and more to educate legislators on the importance of overdose prevention centers - and it’s paid off!
Now, we need YOU to call your senator and tell them to vote YES on SB288. To find out who your senator is, visit mdelect.net. This bill could hit the Senate floor as early as next Tuesday, so call NOW to make sure your senator is voting to protect individuals suffering from addiction in Maryland!
Need a primer on overdose protection centers?
The Drug Policy Alliance gives a technical description.
The Atlantic covered Seattle’s facility.
Vox explains the research behind open safe spaces.
We will be flyering the Senate when it comes to a vote. Sign up here to join!
1. Testifying in support of Senator Feldman's bill, SB288, legislation that will create safe consumption spaces on Wednesday!
2. Attending Baltimore day in Annapolis to promote our #RentersUnited campaign.
3. B-Ciity (Baltimore Community Intergenerational Initiative for trauma and youth) meeting at Enoch Pratt Penn North.
4. Gilmor Homes walking school bus. Join us at 7am at Presstman & N. Mount!
5. Upton Planning Committee Meeting at 6pm on Thursday.
6. Door-knocking on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday to support our #RentersUnited campaign!
Do you want to get involved this week? Call or text 443-712-8163 or firstname.lastname@example.org!