Sign up our monthly meeting, Meet Me in the Middle! We will give updates on new organizing projects, introduce our new staff, and plan upcoming actions.
State bill HB 832/SB 520 is a key reform to Baltimore City's eviction process. It is also a bill unanimously supported by Baltimore City's State Delegates and Senators. It successfully passed the House of Delegates this week.
This bill would end short notice of eviction trials, ensuring that renters have a minimum seven days between receiving a summons and going to court. This simple measure will improve access to a fair hearing for:
- Low-wage workers juggling shifts at multiple jobs
- Parents with few options for childcare or school transportation
- People with disabilities or health constraints that make mobility challenging
- Any renter who needs to seek legal advice or representation ahead of trial
Now the City waits for the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee to do the right thing. But on Thursday, Sen. Bobby Zirkin (D-Baltimore County) chose to hold the bill.
Today, take two actions to stop this:
- CALL JPR Chairman Sen. Zirkin (410-841-3131) to listen to Baltimore City renters and elected representatives: He must lead SB 520 to a committee vote and onto the Senate floor!
- Ask Senate President Mike Miller (410-841-3700) to ensure "local courtesy" for this unanimously supported local bill. Our representatives voted to support this bill - someone from outside the city should not be holding it up.
SB 520 is a fiscally neutral, common-sense bill to reform Rent Court in Baltimore City.
The bill is opposed only by:
- Real estate industry lobbyists who favor speedier eviction over basic fairness
- The Maryland Judiciary, which prefers the bill to have state-wide effect rather than local only
Contact Senator Bobby Zirkin, Chair of the Judicial Proceedings Committee
Contact Senate President Mike Miller
*Shared from our allies at the Public Justice Center!
There are so many chances to see you this week! Here’s what going on.
Perkins Home Support Group: Join the support group - because everyone needs someone to rely on. The Perkins Home Support Group is meeting this Wednesday, March 14th at 12:30pm. Call Nabeehah at 410-775-6673 for location information.
Meetings with Council members: This week we are meeting with Councilwoman Clark, 14th district, and Councilman Scott, 2nd district, to talk about our Rental Licensing Bill. To learn more about our Renters work, and to sign our petition visit RentersUnitedMD.org. NOTE: We will be having an upcoming action on our renters work and will be calling YOU to come out! Stay tuned.
Door knocking in Sandtown: We will be out recruiting and talking to neighbors in Sandtown this week! Call Nabeehah 410-775-6673 to join - the more the better!
New CRM coming: Our digital organizer is working on a new database to improve all communications! Our national partner, the Center for Popular Democracy, created a new CRM (constituent relationship manager) that will make it easier to let you know what’s happening! If you haven't been receiving our text updates, contact KC to sign up at firstname.lastname@example.org.